Saturday 18 April 2015

Fury: Women Write About Sex, Violence and Power


Photo Credit: http://www.booktopia.com.au/fury-samantha-trenoweth/prod9781742709550.html

How are you doing? 

Sorry for not posting as regularly as I did a couple of weeks ago. In the middle of getting ready for school (stressing and all), I seemed to have lost a little bit of motivation for my blog. I have a number of saved posts, but I only post them when I feel like it's right or if I have no time at all - even if that does mean I write a really small post. You will have to excuse my tardiness as I head back into my school term. I can tell you now that my blog posts will not be as frequent, and definitely not be as in depth and long as some of the ones I created these holidays. 

A book I have been losing myself in is Fury: Women Write About Sex, Power and Violence. I just want to start by saying that this is not a fiction book and it can be very descriptive and really exposes violence as I had never seen it before. I would not recommend this for people under the age of 12 just because the themes are very mature and the fact that some of the stories were set in the city I had grown up in shook me up. 

The book explores violence and other things in a very detailed, realistic point of view. It provides statistics, it gives real information, and what I found most important was that it didn't mess around with you. It gave you cold, hard facts and statistics, but painted them in more creative ways. There are stories of violence, but there are also essays analysing it and perspectives that make you really think. I don't think I've ever been made to realise just how disturbing this world really is, especially for young women who are living in submission and it is okay for some of the stuff they are put through to occur. 

For this simple reason alone, I congratulate it. For being able to make a girl who has done her research into the topic already, get even more repulsed is something I give it credit for. The fact that so many incidents happen in my city makes me furious, and the fact that some young ladies are being raped and genitally mutilated and it passes under the radar, in other countries, makes me so angry. You can understand why this book makes me shake my head and whisper curses as I turn pages - this book doesn't just explore these true to life stories, but it also relates it back to the person reading it. 

If you want some more education on the topic, or just want to get really angry - I would definitely recommend this to you. I was gifted this book for my birthday by my brother, because he understand how deeply I feel about this topic and I can't thank him enough. As I head back into school, I definitely have learnt a few things over these holidays - but this will probably stick with me the most. 

Much love,

Duchess

PS. I am in the progress of writing a blog post, but it's about one of my favourite people ever so I really don't want to mess it up. If I'm absent (for longer than usual), blame it on the fact that I am working on something bigger. Thanks, you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment