Friday 5 June 2015

Bedroom Inspiration Through the Ages...



Hey guys!

classic bedroom

So for a while now I've been trying to redo my room. As I live with my whole family, however, I have to run every decision by them before I can act on it, and so far they're not budging. We moved from a cosy, three bedroom duplex into this bigger, boxier house and, lo and behold, I was given the opportunity to design my room. By design I simply mean, because I was moving from a larger room with more storage to a smaller room with less storage, I was able to design and pick my own new storage and choose where all my furniture went. Unfortunately, when I moved into this new house, I had no idea what I wanted to do with it and had no inspiration. So I went to furniture shops and decided to get the most boring pieces of furniture I could possible get. Also, to paint one wall a muted green.

Do I regret my decision? If I had known I would get bored of it so quickly, I would have much rather let my parents design the room.

Anyway, now I'm stuck in a boring room, with mis-matching furniture and not a lot of leg room. The only thing I would keep would be my table, but even then, it's a sore thumb in a room with whites and metallic (why?!), while it sits there with its wooden doors. I don't even know why I picked the furniture - flat packed drawers and a standing up combination - never did I like it, and never will I like it.

So a few months after we'd settled in, I started to brainstorm ideas on what I would design my room as when I got the chance to or, if worst came to worst, what I would design my home like when I moved out.

My first phase was my 'dark and moody stage', as I like to call it. I wanted to have dark furniture and I wanted my rooms to be painted in a very dark beige. What I wanted to get out of this, I think, was a feeling of warmth and cosiness. Throw cushions were the most desirable, and I just thought that this room was everything I didn't have, because all I had was cold and sterile. I took inspiration from Aria Montgomery's (of Pretty Little Liars) room, because I thought it was amazing (for future reference, although I don't watch the show anymore, and I was never really a fan - my favourite Liars are Spencer and Emily).




Next came my neutrals stage. While I still loved wood and darker colours, I was now delving into the world of muted and neutral colours and colour palettes that didn't have to be plain creams or whites. I still reference this stage because I think it was around this time that I found out what colours worked really magic together, and what colours did not. I also began to like lighter woods, and more spacious rooms which was a direct clash with my other phase - in which I wanted small and dark. I had a lot of inspiration for this stage but my largest was Olive Pendergast's (from Easy A) room. It was around this time, as well, that I started developing my mad lady crush on Emma Stone - what a woman!



The next stage was my experimentation with colours. I loved this stage so, so much! I found out what colours I like and where I like them, and more importantly what I actually wanted. It was also around this time that I love myself in the worlds of other bloggers and Youtubers. You'll completely understand, then, when I say that a major inspiration for me was Zoe Sugg's (Zoella) flat in Brighton. It was a dream for me - everything about it, from what I could gather from her vlogs anyway. I do enjoy her content, but every time she walked into another room of her flat I was blown away by how much I loved her decor (except for maybe her dining table and chairs - they're cute, but not really my colours). I freakin' loved everything about her flat, so when she moved into her house, you can only imagine my excitement. It was met with lots of ooh's and ah's. I just really like how she's done her own things, and her little family are so cute! Although not a bedroom, I just wanted to have this photo to appreciate the interior of the living room.

http://www.zoella.co.uk/2014/07/interior-peak-inside-my-living-room.html
This, however, was her bedroom in her flat, and it is very nice. Simplistic and clean, but very elegant.

The next stage is the stage I'm currently in, in which I love minimalist design and interior. However, not boring and plain, but with a sense of homeliness. I'm loving copper and brass, and I'm loving plants and flowers. I still love dark wood, but not all the time chunky, hard numbers. Also, I'm loving exposed brick and white wash and I think that hard wood is the best type of flooring there is (especially when it's dark). I like big windows and unique little decorations. I just love it! It's hard to explain, but if you want a big source of understanding, head to my Pinterest where you will find examples of everything I find appealing. Attached below is of a bedroom I love love love.
http://gravity-gravity.tumblr.com/post/106269301333/source-derek-swalwell
I also gather inspiration from bloggers like Young House Love, who are inspirational to people in all walks of life. Such an inspiring and gorgeous couple. What are your plans for furniture and decoration? Leave it in the comments below.

Much love,

Duchess

No comments:

Post a Comment